Plate 18. Looking southeast down 1st Street during the reconstruction of the
Waterpower Canal in 1885. The mills on the left side of the canal moving left
to right are Minneapolis, Pillbury B, Excelsior, Minneapolis Paper (two
stories), Northwestern, Pettit, Zenith, and Galaxy. The Palisade Mill is at the
far end of the canal. To the right of the canal are the Washburn A Mill and the
Washburn C Elevator.